Friday, April 27, 2012

NEW Berry News!


This year Wilt Farms is proud to present three new additions to our berry farm. Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blackberries.
Strawberries
We have 4 different varieties of strawberries, Tillamook, Valley Reds, Shuksans, and Hood. Bob had decided on these 4 because of their flavor. Valley Red are named for its outstanding performance in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. Shuksans strawberries are best known for how well they taste.  This type of strawberry has a glossier skin then other varieties.
Hood strawberries are one of the most favorite strawberries. They have such an excellent mouth watering flavor.
Our strawberry plants are starting to get flowers on the outsides of the pants. There are shoots coming up in the middle of the plants that will be flowering very soon. In the middle of the flower is the strawberry itself, right now they are very tiny and green. By June 10th to the 15th weather permitting, those little green strawberries will be big and red and ready to harvest.
When the strawberries start to dwindle down our raspberries will be ready to start harvesting.
Raspberries
We will most likely be  hand picking 5% to 10% of our raspberries for fresh market. The other 90% to 95% will be machine picked for our value added products.  We have 3 varieties of raspberries, Tulameen, Meeker, and Saanich.  Tulameen is a standard variety through the world, and it very popular. Meeker raspberries are one of the older varieties.  Saanich is a littler newer raspberry with a great flavor.
Blackberries
Chester is the name of the variety of blackberries that we grow . This variety is thorn less. Bob chose this variety pacifically because of the flavor and the tonnage it has. This is a late market variety. We have 12 acres of Chester Blackberries.
Blueberries
Our blueberries are blooming! Within a few weeks we will be in full bloom. Then the flowers will drop, leaving behind a little green button. That green button is the blueberry. With time that little green button will grow and turn into our famous well known Nutrient Dense Blueberry! We have brought in local bees to start pollinating. We put two bee hives per acre. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home